Professor in the Anthropology of Asia
Department of Anthropology, University of Copenhagen
Professorship in the Anthropology of Asia
The Department of Anthropology invites applications for the position as Full or Fixed-term (5 years) Professor in the Anthropology of Asia.
We seek a candidate with strong teaching and research experience in Asia and Asian matters, who will contribute with both classical and innovative anthropological perspectives to the development of new courses and research programs within the multi-disciplinary "Asian Dynamics Initiative" (ADI), and play an active role in fostering visionary and effective research collaboration with relevant partners throughout the world. The areas that the ADI is particularly interested in developing are:
• Knowledge in transit;
• Security at global and local levels;
• Borders, territorialisation and regionalization;
• Belonging, citizenship and identities;
• Local responses to global challenges;
• The economics of the Asian challenge; and
• Political institutions and culture.
A detailed description of the "Asian Dynamics Initiative", which is hosted by the faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences, is available at www.asiandynamics.ku.dk/english .
Qualifications and job description
Qualifications and a record of achievement at the highest international level within the field are required to hold the position.
The Department of Anthropology has a strong international research profile and is characterized by having a vibrant and dynamic research and teaching environment. The Department plans to further strengthen its research and teaching profile within the anthropology of Asia with particular emphasis on emerging social, economic and cultural changes across multiple geographic and political scales.
The tasks of the successful candidate will include:
• conducting research with special focus on one (or more) of the research areas under the Asian Dynamics Initiative in (a) specific study area(s) of the Asian region;
• teaching, supervision and examination of undergraduate (bachelor) and post-graduate (Master and Ph.D.) students, including the identification of potential future fields for teaching;
• participation in administrative tasks related to teaching and research;
• active participation in the Department's strategy for internationalization of both its teaching and its research;
• active participation in the Department's communications with the world at large.
The successful candidate will have gained substantial fieldwork experience from one or more Asian settings, and will be extensively responsible for various cross-disciplinary activities pertaining to the Department's involvement in ADI. It is therefore expected that the candidate has experience with and is motivated towards running joint research projects.
Furthermore, emphasis will be laid on the following professional and personal qualifications:
• documentation of a high degree of original scientific productions at an international level;
• documented research qualifications in relation to above-mentioned field;
• documented teaching qualifications;
• experience in research management or other managerial functions.
Additionally, the successful applicant will have a dynamic personality as well as the cooperative and managerial skills necessary for the level of management for which the professor will be responsible.
Please find further information about professorships in: Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2007, found at: http://www.ubst.dk/lovgivning/ny_stillingsstruktur_eng.pdf
(Full Professor see 4.1; Professor with Special Responsibilities, see 4.2).
Conditions of Employment
Salary and conditions of employment will be in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC). In addition to the salary, allowances can be negotiated. The annual salary is currently DKK 566,315, exclusive of a pension contribution of 17.1 %. Foreign researchers may enjoy a low income tax rate, which is approximately 33 % of the gross income (http://ism.ku.dk/taxes ).
Fixed-term (5 years) professorship:
The position is offered as a five-year professorship with special responsibilities, with the possibility of a three year extension. On expiry of the professorship period, the appointee is offered employment and remuneration as associate professor. The candidate will be employed by the Department of Anthropology. Salary and conditions of employment as Professor with Special Responsibilities will be in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC). In addition to the salary, allowances can be negotiated. The annual salary is currently DKK 566,315, exclusive of a pension contribution of 17.1 %. Foreign researchers may enjoy a low income tax rate, which is approximately 33 % of the gross income (http://ism.ku.dk/taxes).
Applications including additional material must include the following information and documentation:
• a complete numbered list of publications. The publications enclosed in the application (max. 10) that you wish the evaluation committee to consider should be marked with an asterisk (*);
• a full CV, including name, address, telephone number, e-mail, previous and present employment and academic background including a record of research and international research cooperation;
• documentation of experience with managing research projects;
• documentation of teaching experience and evaluation, supervisory activities and pedagogical training within the last five years (if possible);
• documentation of the ability to disseminate information to and share knowledge with society at large;
• a brief statement of visions for the development of the academic field related to the Asian Dynamics Initiative with regard to both research and teaching (3-5 A4 pages).
If the applicant submits publications marked by an asterisk (*) that are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of the applicant's contribution to each individual work must be clarified in the application, and if possible, a declaration from the co-authors or the head of the institution or office at which the work was completed should be enclosed as well.
After the deadline of the application period, a professionally qualified assessment committee will be established. Applicants will be informed of the composition of the committee. When the committee's evaluation is available, each applicant will receive only that part which concerns him or herself. The terms of reference for the appointment process include the possibility that interviews will be held.
The University welcomes applications from suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic background.
Further information can be obtained from Head of Department Helle
Samuelsen at the Department of Anthropology, Øster Farimagsgade 5,
Postbox 2099, 1014 Copenhagen K ; telephone: +45 35 32 78 77; e-mail: H.Samuelsen@anthro.ku.dk .
The application should be addressed to the Rector of the University and sent together with 5 (five) copies of the application and 3 (three) copies of the submitted publications.
• Application for the full professorship must be marked with 211-0057/10-2400.
• Application for the fixed-term professorship must be marked with 211-0058/10-2400.
• Application for both positions must be marked with both reference numbers.
The application must be sent to:
Faculty of Social Sciences
Oester Farimagsgade 5
DK-1353 Copenhagen K.
The deadline for applications including material is 06 April, 2010 at 12.00. Material received after the deadline will not be taken into account.
Electronic applications are not accepted. The application and publications must be sent by regular mail and include a reply e-mail address.